Call Us Call Us Today! | (636) 947-3000
Auto Insurance AUTO

Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident.

Read More
Homeowners Insurance HOME

A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.

Read More
Church Insurance CHURCH

Discover the perfect insurance options to meet your specific and unique needs.

Read More
Nonprofit Insurance NONPROFIT

Browse a variety of insurance options in order to find the right one for you.

Read More
Motorcycle Insurance MOTORCYCLE

Learn about different coverage options that fit your specific needs.

Read More
Recreational Insurance RECREATIONAL

Finding insurance doesn't have to be difficult. We do the work for you.

Read More

When you look are your auto insurance "Declarations" (Dec. page) you see a list of numbers with designations such as "Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Medical, OTC (Other than Collision, etc."  Each of those designations is a different layer or type of insurance. The entire package is designed to do two things, (In simplest terms) 1. Protect another person if you should be responsible for their loss and 2. Protect you from financial loss by repairing your car if it is damaged. There is much, much more, but that will be for another blog entry. 

When you tell your agent your want "Liability Only,"  you are essentially saying," I want to meet the state requirement to provide for someone else if I damage their property (car or other property) or injure their body with my vehicle."  That means, on a very minimum level, that you want to purchase Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage Liability and Uninsured Motorist coverage.  That is all that most stated require for you to carry.

After that you are to decide if how much "liability" you want to carry.  Most states require a minimum Bodily Injury Liability of $25,000 per person/ $50,000 per accident and Property Damage Liability of $10,000.  Usually this will appear on your policy as 25/50/10.  The Uninsured Motorist is there for your benefit.  In the event a driver without any Bodily Injury insurance injures you, the Uninsured Motorist (UM) part of your policy will pay for your doctors bills and other related losses up to the limits of your own policy.  The minimum Uninsured Motorist in most states is 25/50.  Most insurance companies will offer a range of liability limits that go an high as $500.000/ $1,000,000.  In other words, you are not limited to state minimums. 

So, just how much liability should you carry?  Refer back to my blog  "How Much Auto Insurance Do I Need?"

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2017
  • 2013

View Mobile Version
© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder